Five Kidnapped Travellers In Ekiti Regain Freedom

Five Kidnapped Travellers In Ekiti Regain Freedom

Five kidnapped travellers along Ayedun-Ilasa-Ayebode road in Ikole Local Government Area of Ekiti State have been released.

Ezenwoko’s Blog reports that the victims were abducted last week Thursday at various locations in Ilasa and Ayebode areas of the state by unknown gunmen.

During the attack, the gunmen had engaged the soldiers in a gun duel, causing sporadic gunshots that rented the air.

Apart from the five persons that were kidnapped, two other persons were said to have been hit by bullets and sustained bodily injuries during the shootout.

Speaking to newsmen on Monday, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Sunday Abutu, said the five victims were released on Sunday.

Abutu stated that the victims were released around Ikole Ekiti following rescue efforts by the police and other security agencies.

The Police spokesman added that efforts are still on to arrest the kidnappers and prosecute them to ensure the safety of the people.

He said: “All the kidnap victims, five in all, have regained their freedom.

“They were released around Ikole Ekiti in the Ikole Local Government area following efforts that we (police and other agencies) put up combing the bush. The pressure was much, so the kidnappers had to let them go.

“Efforts are still on to apprehend the kidnappers for the prosecution to ensure the safety of the people.

“We advise that people should be security conscious and make sure that they report all suspected faces around their environment to the security agencies especially the police.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.