Top Nigerian Newspaper Headlines For Today, Tuesday, 21st June, 2022
Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Ezenwoko’s Blog roundup of top newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Tuesday, 21st June 2022
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday reacted to the order of the Federal High Court in Abuja hindering it from stopping voters’ registration by June 30.
The electoral body in its reaction said it will act on the ruling of the Federal High Court.
INEC Chairman of Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, revealed this during an interview on Channels TV on Monday.
Even though he did not state whether INEC would stop the voter’s registration or not, Okoye said the commission would continue to obey the orders of the court.
President Muhammadu Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu has shed light on the state of health of ex-head of state, Abdulsalami Abubakar.
Ezenwoko’s Blog had earlier reported that the former head of state was flown out of Nigeria over health-related issues.
There were speculations that Abdulsalami had a partial stroke and was flown to a hospital in the United Kingdom
Shehu while reacting to the development in a post on his Twitter account disclosed that Abdulsalami is currently in London.
He further stated that he is out of the hospital in London, adding that there is no cause for alarm.
Shehu added that the former head of state is his jovial self and is also concerned about the developments back in Nigeria.
A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Joe Igbokwe has fuelled fresh speculations that the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike may dump the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the APC.
Amidst the rumours of a possible defection by Wike from PDP to APC, Igbokwe on his Facebook page on Monday morning, shared a photo of the Rivers Governor with his Ebonyi State counterpart, David Umahi.
Sharing the picture, Igbokwe added a caption which reads: “SOMETHING IS LOADING HERE AND I WILL NOT TELL YOU.”
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday gave an update on allowing the presidential candidate to substitute their running mate ahead of the 2023 presidential election.
Ezenwoko’s Blog had earlier reported that some presidential candidates submitted the name of a member of their political party as a placeholder to meet the deadline of INEC.
The likes of presidential candidates of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu and Peter Obi of the Labour Party are yet to submit the name of their official running mate.
The INEC’s National Commissioner of Information and Voter Education, Festus Okoye while speaking on Arise TV on Monday said the running mates can only be substituted if only they write INEC, attaching an affidavit.
Former Niger State Governor, Babangida Aliyu has submitted that Peter Obi, candidate of the Labour Party will not win the 2023 presidential elections.
Defending his position, Aliyu stated that 2023 appears too early for him to clinch the nation’s number one political seat as “the name is not dropping everywhere else.”
He argued that the younger people in the country may vote for Obi and he would make his mark in the 2023 contest but the former Anambra State Governor may have to wait till like 2027 or 2031 before he can become the President of Nigeria.
The former Niger State Governor made his view known on Channels Television’s Political Paradigm.
He revealed further that many of them would have loved him to be the running mate to Atiku Abubakar, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Former Niger Delta Affairs Minister, Godsday Orubebe, has resigned from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) with immediate effect.
Recall that Orubebe came into prominence in 2015 when he attempted to scuttle the collation of results of the presidential election at the International Conference Centre (ICC), Abuja.
Orubebe, who was the PDP agent for the election, accused the then chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega, of bias against his party.
Ezenwoko’s Blog reports that Orubebe forwarded his resignation letter to the PDP National Chairman, Senator Iyorchia Ayu, at the PDP National Secretariat, Abuja.
The former minister stated that he has notified his ward chairman in Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State of his exit from the party.
Orubebe claimed that the current situation in the PDP does not show that the party is ready to defeat the All Progressives Congress (APC) and win the 2023 presidential election.
The last has not been heard about the controversies surrounding the Yobe North Senatorial ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as Bashir Machina has insisted he is the rightful candidate.
He said the people are tired of Ahmad Lawan, adding that it is time for Lawan to take a rest and allow the people of the constituency to experience the change they want.
Ezenwoko’s Blog recalls Bashir Machina emerged the winner of the Yobe North Senatorial primary of the All Progressives Congress but was eventually dropped for the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan.
Speaking in an interview published on Monday, 20th June by The Punch, Machina insisted that the party wants to steal his mandate.
He added that he is Lawan’s senior in the National Assembly having been first elected into the House of Representatives in 1992 as a 26-year-old.
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has condemned the attack on his Press crew on the Lagos Island area of the state on Sunday.
Ezenwoko’s Blog reports that two journalists were injured during an attack on the bus conveying the press crew covering the Lagos State Governor’s Office to the palace of the Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu.
The press crew bus was heavily attacked by the hoodlums between Ebute-Ero and Adeniji, Iga-Iduganran axis on Lagos Island as the bus sped off to escape the attack.
Some of the journalists that were injured are Western Post correspondent, Adeola Ogunrinde, and Omatseye Atsenuwa of Smooth 98.1 FM.
Ogunrinde was wounded in the face, while Atsenuwa had his arm hit directly by one of the heavy stones. Adedoja Salam of TVC went into shock due to the attack.
In a statement on Monday by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, Governor Sanwo-Olu ordered an investigation into the attack on the bus conveying the journalists.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday said the outcome of the Ekiti State Governorship elections shows that the All Progressives Congress (APC) is getting better.
Buhari, who spoke while hosting the Ekiti State Governor-Elect, Biodun Oyebanji, at the Presidential Villa in Abuja said he was lucky during the governorship election.
Oyebanji was led by the Chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC), Sen. Abdullahi Adamu, Governors Kayode Fayemi, Atiku Bagudu, Mohammed Badaru of Ekiti, Kebbi and Jigawa, respectively.
The president expressed his pleasure over how the APC governors mobilised and supported Biodun Oyebanji and the manner in which the electorate and security agencies comported themselves.
Bandit terrorists who kidnapped over 30 worshippers from two churches in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State have demanded N100 million as ransom for the release of the victims.
Ezenwoko’s Blog had reported that the gunmen on Sunday morning killed three worshippers of Maranatha Baptist Church and St. Moses Catholic Church in Kajuru LGA and abducted several others.
Also, the Kaduna government through the State Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the attack and the killing of the worshippers.
In a chat with journalists on Monday, the traditional ruler of Aungwan Fada at Rubu community in Kajuru, Elisha Mari, said that he was abducted alongside other residents of the community on Sunday.
He stated this when Heads of Security Agencies and officials of the state government visited him on an on-the-spot assessment tour of the attacked communities.
Mari disclosed that the bandits set him free on self-recognition and asked him to go and look for N100m as ransom to release other victims.