AFRICAN COURT ON HUMAN AND PEOPLES’ RIGHTS
AFRICAN COURT ON HUMAN AND PEOPLES’ RIGHTS BEGINS 50th ORDINARY SESSION ON 27 AUGUST 2018
- VP OF TAN ZANIA TO GRACE SWEARING-IN OF THREE NEW JUDGES
Arusha, 21 August, 2018: The African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights (AfCHPR) will begin its 50th Ordinary Session on Monday, 27 August 2018, at its seat in Arusha, the United Republic of Tanzania.
The Session will begin with the swearing-in of three Judges elected during the 31st African Union Heads of State Summit in Nouakchott, Mauritania. They are: Hon Imani Aboud from Tanzania; Hon Stella Isibhakhomen Anukam from Nigeria and Hon Blaise Tchikaye from Congo.
The swearing-in ceremony will be graced by the Vice President of Tanzania H.E. Samia Hassan Suluhu.
The Judges, among others, will examine over 10 applications during the four-week session to stretch up to 21 September, 2018. Four Judgments are scheduled during the period.
The 9th Extra-Ordinary Session will be held from 24 to 28 September 2018.
The swearing-in ceremony will be live streamed via link https://www.youtube.com/user/africancourt/channels/live from 010H00 to 1130HOO
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
- The newly elected Justices are replacing Hon Justice Gérald Niyungeko from Burundi and Hon Justice El Hadji Guissé from Senegal, who both have retired after serving two terms each, and Hon Justice Solomy Balungi Bossa from Uganda, who resigned in February 2018 to take up a position as Judge of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands. Hon Justice Aboud is Judge of High Court in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; Hon Justice Anukam is the Director of International and Comparative Law Department in the Federal Ministry of Justice in Abuja, Nigeria; and Hon Blaise Tchikaya is a Professor of International Public Law at University of Paris, France.
- The Court is composed of eleven Judges, nationals of Member States of the African Union elected in their individual capacity.
- The Court meets four times a year in Ordinary Sessions and may hold Extra-Ordinary Sessions.
- As at 1 July 2018, the Court had received 180 applications and has finalized 45.
Further information on the Court can be obtained from the Court’s website at www.african-court.org.
For more comments:
Dr Robert Eno, Registrar
Tel: +255 2970430; 02970431; 02970432; 02970433; 02970434; 02970435
For Media inquiries: AfricanCourtMedia@african-court.org